Gillingstool logo

Our History

The original village school was built by Harold Cossham in 1862. Some years later, because of overcrowding, the infants were moved from what was then known as “The British School” to the Friends’ Meeting House and remained there until the new Infant School was completed. This building was adjacent to the original British School. Both these well preserved Victorian buildings are still in use today housing a Nursery establishment – Little Acorns.

Our school building
Our school building
Our school building

The name of the school changed several times, becoming the Thornbury Board School and then the Council School. In 1968 it changed its name to The Leaze School until 1985 when it became Gillingstool Primary School. Before we moved into our current building, the school accommodation consisted of attractive Victorian buildings, a building completed in 1989 which was surrounded by a landscaped garden, two temporary classrooms and small group rooms which were added in 2001 and a hall/dining room and kitchen block built in the 1960’s.

Our school building
Our school building

The Junior block consisted of four classrooms, offices, medical room and resource and library area for older children.

The past and present are linked by the original Victorian School bell which has been re-sited in the new school.